Thursday 14 June 2007

Respect habitats. Knut.


polar bear in the sea
Originally uploaded by lalootka.
Well, it seems I started making polar bear just in time - Dec. 5, 2006 Knut, first polar bear in Berlin zoo, was born. Sad story actually, because, after the death of his twin brother, mother rejected him and poor baby is raised by humans. And zoo workers use his cuteness to promote Berlin zoo, at first, and the idea of environemt and habitats preservation - this very Respect habitats. Knut . Excellent idea, of course. But I haven't been to zoo for ages - I have mixed emotions about it. I'd like Ada to know bio-diversity of earth but I pitty those animals living in cages (though they are not cages).
And I pitty Knut - I know that I anthropomorphise the cub of the polar bear, but - 6 months cub is a tiny baby, isn't it? And he lives without mama. His mama is 3 meters tall predator, but it's a mama!
I accessed Design Can Change programm and made a pledge: to do my best to design with a least effort for nature. Which means using pre-loved materials (I love this word pre-loved, I saw it at Maki Squarepatch site), maybe natural cotton or wool stuffing. That's a challenge. But actually, even dishwashing or morning shower can be a challenge. Or diet!
Life is not easy.
My students are funny - they were writing esseys at the Medical anthropology seminar about various types of alternative medical treatment. And they did it fine - quite fine. But just few of them had real anthropological conclusions and showed me the context of such phenomenons. On the other hand I apprieciate their point of view, way of thinking which is so different than mine. I'm quite satisfied with the seminar programm and result - "quite" means that we should have more time for such project than just one semester.

I envy Tony - on this picture - he can swimm all day long. Today is unBEARable heat and swimming in such a cool blue water like he does would be relief for everyone.
(...Maybe I should make larger bears - polar bears are the largest bears in the world. I'll think about it....)

2 comments:

trinlayk said...

I like the word "upcycle" to take something pre-loved and improve on it....

Zoo might not be an ideal life, but also important for educating humans about animals, and also, at least at my local zoo... lots of ecological and other work is being done by zoos to help save species from endangerment.

Aloutka said...

Yes, I agree with all you say (write) but I just have mixed emotions about the zoos - I appreciate their work for education, but I don't see much results, I agree they help some species to survive but these animals are kept in cages anyway. You know, zoo is like hunting - once humans interefe the environment we have to continue - to control, to support, to help... Helpless circle. I'm quite pesimistic about it - as I see. Hm. :)