Monday 28 April 2008

Peter Pan

It's spring at last - everything is young and beautiful again, finally. It gives me new strenght - and I know I'm not the only one.
I haven't been here for soooo long, blogging I mean. Too much things to do here and there - even making softies was neglected, as well as writing about it. Well, almost neglected - exept few custom orders (one lady with a magpie asked for my magpie decorations! thank you - I love these toys) and some knitted toys for friends I haven't make any. And any photo - that's worse. Yes, making toys is an important vein of my soul, but I had to chose between some other works and adventures (like renovating). I'll be back soon.
And among all this work and adventure I've came across the book Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie again - this time in English, not in translation, and in the same time - a movie from 2003 and I must say I'm enchanted by both. The novel is much more sarcastic, and bitter, magic and touching in the same time, and though the movie has some good parts too - it's just an adaptation. But I love it! Peter Pan in a movie is not an archetype of youth and joy, but much less demonic than in a book when it's heartless, gay and innocent child who meets joy, and loneliness, and death, and loss. Thank goodnes for good casting - at least it has few qualities of an original: he has gorgeous smile that lights stronger than 100W lightbulb and is corky. I do not quite agree with current tendency to turn every story into romance - there's so much more in a book. On the other hand - maybe it's actually the most important thing under the sun and those children are great. Anyway - I'm enchanted.
The story about Peter Pan still has the power to captivate children: Ada wanted me to tell her at goodnight few times about Peter Pan, flying girl Wendy, Captain Hook and - the most of all - Crocodile!

1 comment:

Johnie said...

I'm sure there are many of us Peter Pans in the so-called grown up world... I for example have just discovered a web site for stuffed toys -- yes HONESTLY -- so now my pet toys have registered -- for their own blogs! Check it out -- its great -- CuddlyToyBlog